This is a recipe I stole from Nigella one day when I was starring at an almost empty fridge and starving yet too lazy to go shopping. This is a nice base for any type of Mexican scrambled eggs - it is great with diced chicken or chorizo.
YOU WILL NEED (TO MAKE ENOUGH FOR 2):
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 3 soft corn tortillas
- 1 tomato chopped or a handful of baby tomatoes
- 2 spring onion chopped
- 1 red chilli (deseeded and chopped)
- 6 large eggs (beaten
- salt and pepper
1. Heat the vegetable oil in a heavy-based frying pan. Roll up the corn tortillas and then snip them into strips with a pair of scissors.
2. Fry the tortilla strips for a few minutes until crisp and golden, and then remove to a bowl.
3. Add the chopped tomato, spring onion and chopped red chilli to the hot oily pan, turning everything about for a minute or so with a wooden spoon.
4. Beat the eggs and add some pepper.
4. Put the corn tortilla strips back in the pan, and add the beaten eggs and salt. Using the same spoon, move everything about the pan continuously (just like when scrambling eggs).
5. Remove the pan form the heat when the eggs are setting and continue stirring the eggs until they are done to your liking.
I served it with fresh ciabatta bread and a tomato, onion and cucumber salad.