YOU WILL NEED (TO MAKE ENOUGH FOR 10 waffles):
1. To make the mashed potatoes
- 500g of potatoes peeled and cut into pieces
- 350g of milk
- One teaspoon of salt
- 15g butter
2. To make the waffles
- One finely chopped onion
- Chives or spring onions
- One cup of grated cheddar
- 1/2 cup flour
- One teaspoon baking powder
- Two eggs
- 1/2 teaspoon of baking powder
- Salt and pepper
1. To make the mashed potatoes - add the butterfly to your Thermomix and add the chopped potatoes, milk and salt and cook for 25min, temperature 100 on speed 3. Then add the butter and mix (without the butterfly when using the mashed potatoes to make the waffles) for 30sec on speed 4.
2. Melt 4 tablespoons of butter and once brown whip together with the eggs and the milk.
3. Mix the wet ingredients (3/4 of the mixture) into the mashed potatoes.
4. Mix the flour, baking powder, salt and pepper and then slowly blend into the mashed potato mix. Don't overmix just blend in the flour.
5. Heat the waffle maker and put a bit of butter on the griddle. Drop one large tablespoon of mix into each side and cook until golden.
6. Place the waffles one a resting grill and once ready to eat add some grated cheddar on each waffle and place under the grill (230C) for about 1min.
7. Serve with either bacon, tomato and cucumber salad, sour cream and chive dip and/or with a fried or poached egg.
This is a Thermomix recipe. However, you can do this recipe without using the Thermomix.