YOU WILL NEED (TO MAKE ENOUGH FOR TWO):
- Sourdough bread
- Three eggs
- Cream cheese (I use Philadelphia)
- Caster sugar
- Vanilla sugar or vanilla extract
- Strawberries (or raspberries, bananas, peaches...)
- Almond milk (normal milk works just as well)
This is a great and delicious twist on the more traditional french toast - Pain perdu. The main ingredients are cream cheese and fruit, lots of it. You can use any fruit that comes to mind just remember to put a good dose of cream cheese mixture to hold it all together.
1. Mix four tbs of cream cheese, one tbs of caster sugar and a teaspoon of vanilla extract
2. In a separate bowl, whisk the eggs, 4 tbs of milk, one tbs of sweetener/sugar and a couple of drops of vanilla extract together in a shallow bowl until combined.
3. Spread both pieces of bread with the cream cheese mixture and add the sliced strawberries to one slice of bread leaving a slight space along the edges of the bread and close to make sandwiches.
4. Dip both sides of the stuffed sandwiches in the egg mixture.
5. Heat a frying pan over a moderate heat and Melt the butter in the frying pan. Fry each sandwich gently for 3 to 4 minutes, turning halfway through cooking, until nicely coloured and warmed through.
6. Dust with the icing sugar, drizzple with mapple syrup, cut in half and serve