YOU WILL NEED THE FOLLOWING INGREDIENTS (TO MAKE About 20 COOKIES):
- 125g of butter
- 100g caster sugar
- One egg
- 200g pain flour
- The zest of two lemons
- ¼ teaspoon baking powder
- One pinch of sea salt
- 3 tablespoons demerara sugar (or brown sugar)
1. Beat the butter and sugar in a bowl (with an electric mixer) until creamy
2. Beat in the egg until the mixture is light and fluffy
3. Then add he flour, lemon zest, baking powder and salt and mix until you have a ball of dough. Cover and place in the fridge for 2 hours, or until firm
4. Preheat your oven to 180°C/350°F/gas 4. Roll out the dough on a floured surface until ½cm thick Cut out shapes and place on a greaseproofed tray. Another alternative is to scoop small balls of dough with a tablespoon and flatten them down with the bottom of a glass that has been floured.
5. Sprinkle with demerara sugar and bake for 10 to 12 minutes until the edges are light brown. Transfer to a wire rack to cool.
These biscuits are incredible easy to make and you can substitute the lemon zest for just about anything - dried cranberries and orange zest is a great combo. Another great Jamie Oliver classic which never fails.