It is International Waffle Day today. People make waffles strangely to celebrate and mark the start of Spring. Seeing as I make waffles nearly every weekend - we rotate between crêpes, waffles and pancakes - I thought it was about time I shared some of my favourite recipes.
Making the batter for waffles is very similar to making the batter for pancakes - except here the batter is a bit more thick than it would otherwise be.
YOU WILL NEED THE FOLLOWING INGREDIENTS (ENOUGH FOR TWO):
- 1¾ cups all-purpose flour
- 1¾ cups whole milk
- Two tablespoons baking powder
- ½ tablespoon salt
- One tablespoon granulated sugar
- Three eggs
- ½ cup vegetable oil
- ½ tablespoon vanilla extract (optional
- Any ingredients necessary for your choice of topings
1. Mix together the flour, baking powder and salt in one bowl
2. In a separate bowl beat eggs thoroughly and then whisk in the sugar, milk and oil.
3. Add the above ingredients to the flour mixture and mix everything together gently until fully liquid and combined.
4. Leave mixture to settle for 4-5 minutes and then you are ready to pour into your waffle maker.
5. For the toppings you can add just about anything; chocolate, fruit and maple syrup, sugar and maple syrup, bacon, bacon and sausages...
/Maple syrup and crispy pancetta waffles/
/Banana, raspberries and maple syrup waffles/